This is from Last weekend> Jacobe Bought his first Midget Mustang and flying
it home>>>

I am almost certian I will regret sharing this story online.

OK so I bought an MM1 in Texas. I went down there, spent the night, woke up
early to fly
her home to San Francisco. At first light, the seller and I went out and
started her up. I
climbed to altitude, did some airwork, and boom - the canopy flew open. It
hit the wing,
then flopped back and hit my head (awesome), ripped my headset off, etc.
After about a
minute of trying to grab it, I slowed the plane, rolled it, grabbed it, and
held on with my
left hand. I briefly let go of the stick to close the throttle, but couldn't
reach the flaps.
Great, my first MM1 landing will be on a 40ft wide, 2000 ft runway with one
hand and no
flaps.

I dead sticked it at about 90 - I know thats fast but I had alot of other
things going on and
didn't have a good feel for non-flap approach speed. Upon touch down, I did
the usual
tap dance and got her stopped. Surprisingly, I found the MM1 to be as touchy
as the Pitts
S1S I sold, on the ground and in the air. I confirmed this later on other
more "normal"
landings on my route home.

OK, so the canopy lip cost me some knots. Plus my flight planning was made
by someone
who had never even flown an MM1 - oh wait, thats me. So I left TX, late,
slow, and in need
of flight plan revisions. I basically ran out of daylight in Milford, UT. I
chose to take that
route because I am familiar with it - I had just ferried a Cessna 195 that
same route a
couple weeks earlier. Milford has a great diner/motel nearby and the people
are very nice.
I checked in and got some sleep.

The challenge with that route is that there is nothing between Milford and
Tonopah - 200
NM of desert with no paved airports, and MOA's to the north and south. It
also features a
pattern of range-valley-range-valley as you crisscross east to west. I woke
up at first
light, checked the weather again - at least as best as one can for that
route - there are
very few reporting stations. No pireps were available. Tonopah has a TAF,
and that looked
good for most of the day. Returns showed snow in the Reno area, but the
route to
Tonopah was "manageable" - I use that term to describe VFR that can easily
become
MVFR. In summary - I actually didn't perceive any unusual risk in flying
that morning.

I took off at 7-something in the morning, just after sunrise. Ceiling was
8000ft. I crossed
a few mini-ranges with no problems, and went around others (why climb and
freeze when
you can turn and avoid). As I approached the midway point, rain showers
started to show
to the north and south. I reached the midpoint, and from the looks of it,
the way forward
was about the same as the way back.

I came upon one particular range that had obscuration, weather to the north,
weather and
the MOA to the south. The ceiling had lowered and I could not climb over
this one. I saw a
small hole in the range that was very bright with sunlight - from far away
it looked good.
As i got closer, I smelled box canyon - and sure enough, it was. Hmmm - 1:20
of fuel, 45
mins from Tonopah....

I followed the range north...nothing. Terrain and weather weren't cutting me
a break. I
would have to turn back. 1:10 left of fuel and 50 mins to Milford. I got
back to the range I
had just crossed - cut-off. I was stuck in this valley. Its a huge valley,
and I had plenty of
room to maneuver, but the closest airport was in the next valley over, and
it was dirt. I
had a 20 second panic attack. "What do I do? How did I get in this? Can
someone help me?
I want out! I checked the weather! I am such an idiot! Where do I land? Is
my fuel estimate
accurate? Do I REALLY have 1 hr of fuel left? If I land out here, how will I
call my family?
They'll worry! What do I do? Someone help me!"

I saw a semi truck. And another one. "OK, I can land on the road, near a
fuel station. I can
fuel up and wait for the weather to pass. What if it doesn't pass? Low
pressure and snow
coming from Reno...Can I land on a road? Is that legal? What if I hurt
someone? What if i
get hurt? Shouldn't I tell SOMEBODY my intentions? This is why you file a
flight plan
GENIUS".

I called NELLIS approach. I gave them my position and told them I was over
Hwy 318 and
would possibly be landing on the hwy if I didn't find a way out of the
valley. They asked
for my fuel - 1 hr. How many souls? 1. What kind of plane is it?
Experimental.
Make/Model? Midget Mustang. Can you maintain VFR? Yes. Position again? I
gave them
the nearest VOR/DME, since Highway 318 was a bit meaningless. Squawk
7700....I cant
believe this. "7700".

I saw a sign - "US 93 Junction 53 miles". Ok, there will be gas there, and
phones, and
medical, and a nicely paved road, and...traffic? Well, I had enough fuel to
go look and
come back to 318 if I needed to. I hit 93. 40 mins of fuel left. I heard a
broken call from
Nellis, something about an airport ahead. I checked my charts - of course,
Alamo! But
wait, how did I miss this on my "Nearest" press on the GPS? I didn't....it
was dirt, so I had
ruled it out. The MM1 wheel pants have about an inch of clearance. Well,
maybe this will
be an exceptionally nice dirt runway?

I told Nellis I was over Alamo. No response. I flew low and slow over the
dirt runway - it
was worse than I expected. Rocks, garbage, bumps. I was better off landing
on a salt lake.
I climbed - U.S. 93. There is a Chevron station right over there. 1
car/truck every 2-3
miles. There was a stretch a ways back that was straight, uphill, upwind, no
poles,
unpopulated, and a few miles to town. Thats the spot. I'll wait until
traffic is clear and go
for it.

I got a call from an ExecJet - they were relaying for Nellis, who couldn't
reach me. I told
them where I was, that the dirt wasn't going to work. They said I was
cleared to land on
U.S. 93, and that HWY patrol was going to shut it down. I told them I would
hold with 20
minutes of fuel. They said Hwy patrol wouldn't make it in time and asked my
intentions. I
signaled my intent to land. They reiterated my landing clearance, and
provided me a
phone number to call. I thanked all involved an signed off.

OK! I it's late and this is way longer than it should be. I'll post part 3
later!  Haha!! In the
meantime, can somebody give me a ride to Alamo? Its 100 miles north of
Vegas...

PART #3
So, I am downwind on US 93. Not because of wind, but because the other
direction was
uphill. So really I was on the left downhill leg. I really don't remember
much about the
approach other than flaps and 75-80 kts. (BTW - what do you guys approach
at? I feel
fast...). I did overshoot - my base leg was almost non-existent, I was too
close to the hwy
on the downhill leg. Anyhow, I just corrected to the left and centered up.
Hey, this wasn't
exactly a fly-in.

One last check for traffic while I am high enough to see, looks good. This
is it.

The actual landing was a non-event. I was surprised at how not-a-big-deal it
was to
land on a road vice a runway. Really. There was no difference, other than
the occasional
marker/pole on each side that kept you in check down the centerline. But it
doesn't end
there...

So I have the tail down, and I started taxiing at about 15 mph. i wanted to
clear the hwy
and there was nowhere to pull off. I remembered seeing a lodge/motel up
ahead and
there was a big gravel lot. I was going to pull into that place, and then
walk to the
Chevron. Just then, a silvery-blue late 90's minivan came the opposite
direction. It didn't
appear to slowdown immediately. Then it got within about 300 ft and started
to slow. You
guys really have to visualize to appreciate this moment. It was a lady in
the driver's seat
and somebody in the passenger seat (didn't get a good look). The look on her
face as we
crossed paths at about a combined 20 mph was simply classic. She was
obviously
confused but trying to convince herself it was normal - yes, I could see all
that through a
canopy, 20 ft of distance and a windshield. I laughed out loud - the first
time I have ever
done so in an airplane while it was on the ground.

Still taxiing... wow I guess I gave myself enough space! Semi truck
approaches. He is
cooler about it - he floats over to the left and doesn't slow much. I did my
best to get my
wing out of the way but i was protruding a couple feet. Sorry. I gave him a
goofy salute
and just kept going. About 10 seconds later, the unthinkable.

A white pickup truck comes from behind and PASSES me on the left!! YES, he
passed me!!
I don't have a rearview, so I didn't know he was there, and there was no
room to S-taxi.
Did i just get passed? I had no blinkers, no horn to honk, I just had to sit
and watch this
guy as he took off. I was shocked! Am I the only one on this road who thinks
its odd to
see an airplane driving southbound? Maybe its normal!! But can I at least
get a little
patience? You couldn't wait until the turnoff buddy?! I can't speed up - I
don't want to get
a speeding ticket in an airplane!

So the hotel is on the right. I pulled in, swiveled around and parked in
front of this
windmill. Nobody around. I just got out, found some rocks and tried to stuff
them under
the wheelpants as chocks. I was reminded how interesting a dirtstrip landing
would have
been. Still a little spaced out, I walked up to the hotel diner. A lady was
into the side of the building. She saw me midstride and approached,
explaining that they
were closed Sundays. There were two empty parking spots next to the
building. One was
for disabled parking. "Can I park here"? Yes, she said. "Mind if I take both
spots?" She
looked confused. I realized she hadn't seen my 'ride'. "Can I park my
airplane here?" She
took a moment, looked down towards the hwy...and then saw the midget
mustang.
"Sure". She was confused but trying not to be - just like the minivan
driver.

As I am walking back to the plane...flashing lights. Highway Patrol was
hauling butt
northbound. I ran out to the highway to catch him before he passed. I waved
my hat in an
updown motion. He got the message, slowed down and pulled up. "Are you the
pilot?"
Yes. "Are you ok?" Yes. "Is the plane ok?" I pointed to it, Yes. It is a bit
funny how the
plane can go unnoticed - I guess its the size. He let me use his phone. I
called my wife...

He took me to get gas, but I had to sit in the back. Great - the first black
guy ever to visit
Alamo, NV and I was arriving in the back of a patrolcar. Could this morning
get any
stranger? First we went to his house to get cans, then to the Chevron to get
gas. It was
actually kind of fun to pull up and just jump out of the backseat, onlookers
and all.

Back to the hotel. The owner, Kim had arrived. She offered food, coffee, a
phone. Wow!
The HP officer gave me his card - "Call when you are ready to take off and
we'll shut
down the hwy." Thanks officer!

I called Nellis. They were happy to hear I was OK, and said they actually
had appreciated
the opportunity to practice emergency procedures!! They said they learned
some things.
Specifically that when they were talking with NV Hwy patrol, they were able
to give Air Nav
info, but that it was meaningless to HP. They needed a way to map air info
to hwy info,
and they were glad I had indicated the Hwy name in my radio calls.
Apparently the ExecJet
was the last of the day to get overflight clearance due to the Nellis
airshow. It was good
fortune that he was there to relay our transmissions. I said my thanks, and
hung up in
shock that I wasn't getting chewed out. I made more calls. Flight service.
Weather wasn't
going to improve. US airways. I could fly home out of Vegas that evening.
The hotel owner
volunteered to drive me 100 miles south to Vegas. Talk about blessed!

Then this guy shows up. "Are you the pilot?" "Yes sir". "I'm with the local
newspaper".

I'll scan and post the article when I get ahold of it. It publishes tomorrow
(Thursday, 13
Nov).

The hotel owner and I found stakes and twine. I made rudimentary tiedowns. I
bundled
her up and left a sign in it that says "No Smoking. This plane is fully
fueled". I wrote it so
that kids wouldn't play on the thing. I took pictures of all this and will
post if I can.