Gary Shubert wrote:

> I believe Mark L.  discusses taking a vo-tech class to learn how to paint
> his car on his web site.

My experience with the local tech school has been pretty good, but the
welding experience one of them.  I guess you could say I'm a dropout!  The
old guy that taught welding thought it was important to learn to stick weld,
so for four weeks we cut steel plate for the first half hour of the "class",
and then spent the rest of then night trying to weld them together.  The
"teacher" was always in his office watching TV, and was too busy to break
away and come see how we were doing or offer any advice on how to improve
our methods.  I was hoping to learn to gas weld aluminum better, and I
certainly didn't see much hope of learning to TIG weld there, so I quit
wasting my time going.

I tried some of that aluminum brazing stuff, and was fairly unimpressed,
despite the fact that I've been soldering electronics with success since I
was a kid.  As with gas welding aluminum, it was a frustrating process for
me, although it did provide some good experience for when I finally broke
down and bought a TIG welder.  I might could make it work better now though,
knowing what I know about welding aluminum.  When welding any kind of
substantial aluminum piece, you're way ahead to preheat the pieces to about
450 degrees before you weld on it, otherwise you spend a lot of time pumping
heat into the piece before anything really happens as far as welding goes.

As for the bodywork class, it was just plain excellent.  The guy that taught
that class was downright evangelical about teaching us bodyworking, and it
was a very good experience.  I fixed a couple of little dents on it, sanded
the whole car down, and repainted it.  The best thing about that class was
the $55,000 paint booth that was less than a year old.    All we had to do
was sign up for it, so I chose the last week of class to paint my  16V
Scirocco.  I'd already painted a few cars twenty years prior, and did a
pretty good job of it, but having that paint booth was a real plus.

Thanks for reminding me about the tech school though...I need to sign up for
the machine tool class.  There's only so much you can drag out of a book.  I
used my rotary table for the first time last night, drilling three holes in
a new Corvair harmonic balancer to mount my rear starter pulley to.  I also
learned how hard it is to drill and tap stainless steel, but I managed to do
it without breaking any drill bits or the tap.  And today I had lunch with a
machinist at the airport and was telling him about the experience...so he
tells me I did it the hard way.  I should have just "trigged it out" and
drilled and tapped the three holes in a triangle and been done with it! Live
and learn...

Mark Langford, Huntsville, AL
website:  www.n5...@hiwaay.net
email:  N56ML at hiwaay.net