Here's a link to a commercial product:

http://www.turboxs.com/more_info.php?ID=212

There is a downloadable installation guide there.

It appears from this that it's a bit of a complicated issue.

It looks like a series of maybe two or three acoustic filters would be
necessary to remove the normal engine sounds from the audio stream
(signal from the sensor) and those filters would be different from
engine to engine, or at least require custom configuration for each
engine model.

Then the remaining noise (knock) could be detected with a comparator,
it's output fed to a lamp/buzzer driver, etc.  This appears to be what
the folks at turboxs have done.

Thus far I have not found any specifics regarding the frequency response
of the sensors:  A properly set up sensor could include the necessary
frequency response filtering already, simplifying the tuning issues.

jg