Dan wrote, "neither could get it to work properly . . ."

You'll recall Dan that you were tired, the engine was hot from adjusting
it all day (carb I think it was?), and you just didn't want to fool with
it any more.  We only did two or three run-ups as I recall and sometimes
it takes three or four.  In very unusual cases, as much as 10.  I just
did an RV-8 and it took 10.  I did an RV-6 immediately after and it only
took four.  I did a Katana recently that took two - with a third just to
check it.

In the case of Ol' Blue we didn't check prop track or make sure
everything (spinner, backplate, spinner bulkhead, etc.) was tight.  Also,
in the case of carb problems, there may have been (and probably was since
you were working on it) a combustion issue . . . as was the case with the
RV-8 that took 10 run-ups.  His Ellison & intake manifold set-up is not
good.  There's a very wide difference between his richest cylinder and
his leanest cylinder.  Combustion problems can interfere with getting a
consistent low reading on the Dynavibe.  In such cases, the problem is
with the fuel/air distribution, not with the balancer.   Combustion
problems can come from other things as well, and all of them can
interfere with correcting mass imbalance issues.

The Dynavibe was working properly that day.   It had been a long day for
Ol' Blue and we just didn't have enough time to work it out.

As for Mark's attempt, as he says, he just didn't push the button to
start taking data.  As easy as it is to use, you still have to push the
buttons.

Really guys, I've done a variety of planes now, RV's, Cessna's, a Katana,
a couple KR's (not including Ol Blue), and the machine works very
reliably & well.  If anyone is thinking of getting one, you won't be
disappointed.  Mike at Dynavibe is extremely helpful if there are any
questions or any problems, but you'll see as Mark and I both have that
there are no "gotchas" or quirks or difficulties with the Dynavibe.

The Dynavibe has just attained NIST certification with an error tolerance
of "0", which is better than the next balancer up the chain -  the
Microvibe II.  That one costs about 6K and is more difficult than the
Dynavibe to use from what I hear, but it's not just the price difference
that recommends the Dynavibe . . . the thing just works.

No . . . I don't get any discounts for speaking kindly of the Dynavibe.
I'm just real pleased with it and naturally enthusiastic to have a tool
that works so well.

Mike

Digital Photography - Click Now.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTDvmQ74KySa3IAlIk95S0CKRh0sPYHUq1tuhCusDk8dszEyRD4gXe/