On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 12:13 -0700, Mark Moody wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who replied!
>
> Rich Seifert wrote:
>  I always drain the gascolator
> before every flight to check for water and I think a simple fuel drain would
> serve this same purpose. I think this will at least eliminate vapor lock

This bothers me.

If vapor lock is the problem, then cooling is the solution.  A blast
tube going into a lightweight cover over the gascolator is my plan, I
think the mass of that cold fuel is the best protection for the
(thermally insulated) short rubber tube from the gascolator to the carb.

The gascolator has a small but sufficient sized mass of fuel in it to
provide an environment suitable to the separation of water from fuel by
gravity.  In a moving mass: turbulent flow, the water will not settle
out.  I suppose the water has to be the fastest moving component in the
mass if it is going to settle.  The bowl for the gascolator provides
this "settling pond" environment.  I'd keep it.

My 2 cents..

John Gotschall
N611GB
Puyallup, WA