KRnetHeads,

I've been thinking for a couple of years now that while Mount Vernon is a great
place for the KR Gathering (there may be no better place), I miss going
somewhere different.  I wouldn never have gone to Red Oak Iowa, Pine Bluff
Arkansas, Perry Oklahoma, Lake Barkley Kentucky, Covington Tennesse, or
Columbia Tennesee if we hadn't moved around every year.  Given that Mount
Vernon really is perfect, and Larry does a job that's probably impossible to
top as far as running it goes, can we accept that maybe we ought to mix it up a
little, and maybe move it every other year to somewhere else, but go back to
Mount Vernon every OTHER year rather than EVERY year?

This would give Larry and Chris a well-deserved break, get us a little closer
to folks in other places that aren't quite as close to Illinois an opportunity
to attend (although I know if you're a real KRhead you'll drive whatever it
takes), and more importantly, break up the monotony!  I talked to Scottish KR
bilder/pilot Willie Wilson (G-DGWW) the other day, and he lamented it's been
three years since he attended a Gathering, partially because having it in the
same place has taken some of the shine off of it.  Back when we moved it every
other year, he had the opportunity to visit a different part of the country
every time he came to the US, whereas now he goes to the same old place, stays
at the same hotel, etc.

So here's what I'm asking.  Would somebody please volunteer to host the
Gathering NEXT year?  I can't do it because my airport is "private" and it's
not legal to fly in if you are not an owner (or part owner, as in stockholder).
  Wayne from Mississippi volunteered to host it a few years ago (twice), but
died before we allowed him to do it.  I'm sure there are others who would like
the opportunity to put their airport on the KR map. The requisites are that the
airport has to be uncontrolled (or the controller is blind and deaf), somewhat
out of town so the FBO doesn't get alot of complaints or has good neighbors,
food has to be brought in (a big grille and burgers will work), someplace for
the banquet is good (although I've enjoyed the ones in the hangar at Pine Bluff
and Mount Vernon), inside storage at night for the KR's is a big plus, and the
host has to do all of the organization.  Support from an EAA chapter would be
helpful, and local church or high school band groups often have fund-raising
efforts that will do the cooking for you.  Hmmmm...I may have just killed it
right there!  But it never hurts to dream.

As an example of what you can do, Dana Overall hosted one at Lake Barkley and
that was a very long way from where he lived, yet it was still a great success.
I'm guessing that Larry Flesner would like just sit back in a lawn chair and
watch the KRs go by next year.  Think about it...

Mark Langford
"variety is the spice of life....sheep AND goats..."
N56ML "at" hiwaay.net
website at http://www.N56ML.com