Scott Watts wrote:

> You reported an all up engine weight of about 250 lbs for the Corvair
> in your KR.  What moment did you use?  Say from the firewall? I assume
> this does not include the prop and spinner, cowl etc...???

>From the CorvAircraft archive:

I've always said 240 pounds was the "all up" weight of my Corvair engine,
with everything but fuel in the lines and electrons in the wires.  That  did
not include the 2 pound air filter though. My engine's CG is about an inch
aft of the center of the case centerline, but mine's a rear starter, so for
a front starter it would be slightly forward of that.  It also doesn't
include the prop, which would be about 5 pounds in the case of a 54"
diameter wooden prop.  And the mount is a few pounds as well that I didn't
count as part of the engine weight.  The 240 pounds does include coils,
wires,  exhaust, and
all that stuff, as well as the prop hub.

No, that doesn't include the weight of the cowling, spinner, or prop either.
I don't know of anybody in the aviation industry that does that.  These
numbers were for my 3100cc engine.  2700cc engines weigh about 6 pounds more
due to heavier GM pistons and cylinders.  Grand total being about 248 pounds
for a 2700cc Corvair.

> Also, I like your streamline spinner/cowl, but notice from your web
> site that you essentially made your own custom spinner.  I'd like to
> get your same look, but do not trust myself fabricating a part that is
> required to spin thousands of times a minute.  Since the time you made
> yours, have you found a commercially available spinner that might do
> the trick?  If you were to do it over again, what would you do?  What
> is the diameter of your spinner at the cowl?

The part number and place to buy the spinner that I used for a mold is in
the first sentence of my "how to build a fiberglass spinner" page at
http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/spinner/.

Mark Langford
N56ML "at" hiwaay.net
website at http://www.N56ML.com