From: "Mark Langford" <n5...@hiwaay.net>
To: "KRnet" <kr...@mylist.net>
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 7:47:13 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: KR> Was Flying again, now EGTs

Jeff Scott wrote:

> EGT temps really aren't important unless you are worrying about melting
> down your exhaust pipes.  They vary depending on altitude, mixture, RPM,
> and engine.  The actual number isn't important, but is typically used
> only to measure the current EGT reading vs Peak EGT reading.

Yep, I was planning on going into more detail when I started writing that
reply, but ended up hitting the "send" button before shutting the computer
off, not realizing I really hadn't finished it yet.  I'd have hoped that Dan
(and others on the list) have figured out what their peak EGTs are under
different throttle conditions, in order to get a feel for what's normal and
what's way too rich (much lower EGTs).  Just to make sure the carb is set up
properly and has a full mixture range, it'd be prudent to make sure you
could find a peak value and have enough mixture control to make the mixture
leaner on either side of peak temperature, by both going richer and leaner
than peak EGT.

Some people are probably flying way too rich and don't even know it, which
can lead to heavy carbon deposits and shorter cylinder wear due to
"washdown" from excess fuel.  Flying without an EGT meter is a recipe for
that kind of problem, because you'd really have no idea what your mixture
is, although I suppose you could adjust it by finding max speed at a given
throttle setting, come to think of it, again assuming you get less power at
both the lean and rich sides of max speed.

Of course some folks are flying without a mixture control at all, so maybe
I'm just getting all worked up over nothing, but I'd think judicious leaning
would save enough fuel to make a real difference over the life of the
airplane to justify a "proper" aircraft carb.  Well that's another can of
worms better left tighly closed...

Mark Langford, Huntsville, AL
mail: N56ML "at" hiwaay.net
website: www.N56ML.com