No, I was the buffoon here.  I meant to say, "the head stud NUTS" rather the
the head studs themselves.  I don't know what kind of trouble I would get into
if I were to strain or break a stud, but I have a hunch I don't want to find
out.

What I've done so far is to break the nuts loose - that is just barely turn
them - and then tried to back them off.  I could only turn them a few degrees
before the torque wrench read 40 lb-ft - the maximum that William suggests.

I had previously soaked the tips of the studs and the nuts in two different
kinds of penetrating rust solvent.  In addition, I had Q-tipped nitric acid
along the annular ring between the stud and nut threads.  HNO3 reacts with
("dissolves") rust.  So far I still pull 40 lb-ft of torque with no further
movement on the "loosened" nuts.

I have heard of a high frequency nut-only electronic heating device, but a) I
don't have one, b) I don't know anyone who does, c) most of the nuts are in a
location that might preclude the use of such a device anyway.  It's amazing in
that it heats the bolt to red-hot without heating the stud.  Of course, you
must work quickly before too much head is transferred from the nut to the stud.

Any suggestions out there would be greatly appreciated.

Ross Aldrich