Date: Jul 23, 2003 5:19 AM

From: Mark Langford <n5...@hiwaay.net>

Subject: Re: CorvAircraft> head nuts

Don't forget the old tried-and-true method of drilling two small holes into
the nut on opposing sides of the stud (hole parallel to the stud), and then
splitting the nuts with a
chisel.  This completely eliminates the possibility of backing out the
studs, but you have to be a little careful not to chisel up the threads.  I
split every one of my upper head studs because they were so rusty they were
pretty much welded to the studs.  It took me about 2 hours, but my threads
look great and my studs are still firmly in place.  You'll never get a
"proper" nut splitter down in the area around the nut.
There is a CorvAircraft list where this would've been asnwered almost
immediately.  Send a message to corvaircraft-j...@mylist.net to join. Mark
LangfordN56ML "at" hiwaay.netwebsite at