I was thinking of installing a NACA style intake on the right side of my
cowling to duct air through a short run of SCAT tubing to cool the gascolator.
I'm going to enclose the gascolator, which is on the passenger side bottom
corner of the firewall, on three sides with a one piece shield, with the fourth
side being the firewall.  There will be a 2" diameter inlet on the top to
attach the SCAT tubing.  Have any of you used a NACA type inlet to do this and
for you engineers out there, will I incur more cooling drag inside the cowl
since the air coming out would have to exit the cowl at the bottom cowling air
outlet?  Would this in any way reverse pressurize the cowl from inside and
below the engine and inhibit the airflow down through the cylinders thereby
causing increased cylinder temps?  All of this, as opposed to simply attaching
a 2" duct in the baffling to let pressurized air blow down through the duct
work to cool the gascolator.  Could I get some thoughts and feedback on this?

Also, looking at the front of my cowling which I am trying to complete the
construction of (pictures at: sharkdri...@zoomshare.com), would a NACA type
intake on the front underneath the prop inline with the carburetor serve well
as a ram air intake as opposed to the round or square air intakes so common on
the KR's?  I've been looking at the NACA ducts and many of the ones used for
cars have the outlet set at about 45 degrees to the face of the NACA duct
intake.  This would just about match up with the inline ram airflow coming
straight at the front of the cowling.  I checked with Aircraft Spruce and they
no longer carry the NACA inlet assemblies or kits so I've been looking online
at race and stock car suppliers.

This is asking a lot of questions but I know that's what this forum is all
about, right?  So, for those of you with your thinking caps handy, I'm anxious
for some logical and/or practical feedback on these ideas.

Thanks for any replies either direct to my E-mail or on the KRnet.  There may
be others who would like to hear your thoughts so the KRnet would be a good
reply method.  I know I get a lot of useful information off of it from those
who post to it regularly.

Thanks,
Neal Hornung
lt1corve...@earthlink.net