Vapor lock is common in almost all fuel injected aircraft engines, but it's not
the gascolator that overheats.  It's because the fuel injection distribution
block  is sitting on top of the hot engine, so gets heated enough to easily
boil the fuel following engine shut down.  Thus the hot start problems with
most injected aircraft engines.  In flight it is cooled by the air intake on
top of the engine, so never vapor locks once there is sufficient cooling air
moving through the air inlets.

The warm air coming off the bottom of the engine typically isn't hot enough to
create a vapor lock problem.  However, exhaust routing is really critical as
the exhaust pipes are the really hot components that may run near the
gascolator.  On my plane, the exhaust routes down either side, so my gascolator
is mounted at the bottom center of the firewall with no extra cooling and has
never presented a problem. (770 hrs so far that include long climb outs from
Phoenix and Tucson in the summer.)  However, if I had a crossover exhaust to
heat the already warm air coming out the bottom of the engine, then a cool box
and blast tube would be a must.  On my other plane with a crossover exhaust,
the gascolator and electric fuel pump have their only little box at the lower
left corner of the firewall with a small NACA scoop in order to keep the fuel
cool.

Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM