From: Dene Collett <av...@telkomsa.net>
Subject: Re: KR> New subject - This is not KR!-- now cooling systems, general
To: "KRnet" <kr...@mylist.net>
Date: Monday, December 7, 2009, 11:27 AM

No offence taken but if I am not mistaken your aircraft has an aircooled
motor in it and has a cooling system to keep it cool while the engine is
producing power.
Although I am not installing the motor in a KR, it is aircooled and has a
cooling system which I would like to understand. I would have thought that
the commonality between the two would make the subject pertinent here but
maybe not on the corvair forum as that forum is dedicated to the corvair
motor only?? Then again the corvair has been used in many different aircraft
and each one of them has a cooling system.....

A lot has been said about the ratio between the inlet size and outlet size
but not much has been said about the relationship between power produced
(heat), inlet size and airspeed. There has to be a relationship and a rule
of thumb formulae there.

According to a study I recently read by a german aeronautical engineer,
the traditional cooling systems are upside down. According to her testing
the lowest pressure area around the circumference of the cowl is on the top
and highest is in the centre on the bottom. Obviously with higher speed
aircraft like the KR ram air is enough to overcome this but the slower you
go the more difficuilt it gets to create that pressure differential
required.

Look at the outlets on a cirrus in relation to the power (heat) they
produce. They
are tiny. The secret is airspeed as far as I am concerned. I am sure there
are VW powered KR's out there producing no more that 65HP with bigger inlets
and outlets. Either the owners of these KR's just hit the cooling bug with a
big stick and overengineered it to avoid problems or the inlets and outlets
had
to be bigger due to the lower airspeed and therefore lower ram air pressure.
Fortunately the KR flies fast enough to be able to create a lower pressure
underneath in the higher pressure area to "suck" sufficiently.

Take Mark Langford's KR for example. AT 100MPH the ram air pressure is
already 4.92" water guage, at 120mph it is 7.09"wg.(figures obtained in an
old sport aviation article)  This alone is probably enough to cool the motor
without worrying about creating an outlet system to help "suck" out the air.
So, in theory, to cool a KR in cruise the outlet can be at static pressure
and it should cool just fine providing the inlets are correctly sized to let
enough air in and the outlet size is sufficient to handle the expanded air.
It is a little more complicaed that this I know but this is basically how it
works.(as I understand it).

Comments???

Regards
Dene Collett