It's been a while since I went through the rules and doing so this time
I'm needing to comment on the mention of Norton & McAfee.  Both of these
disasters come bundled with the crapware that comes on all new computers
and if anyone has tried to get rid of them, you didn't . . . not unless
you reformatted your new disk - something that is a very good idea to do
in any case.  There actually is a free program on the net called
"Decrapifyer" designed to get rid of this stuff but even it may leave
traces that will come back to haunt you.  Norton & McAfee are downright
insidious.

I tried Decrapifyer with my latest Dell . . . and it's useful . . . but
it's really easier and much safer just to wipe the disk clean and
reinstall your OS and the applications you want.  Of course, you have to
have the OS to reinstall the OS.  "Restore disks" will just re-install
the crap that came with the computer to begin with.   You are paying for
an OS when you buy a new computer so demand they give you one.   Dell
charged me an extra $10 for the XP CD's - well worth it.   My point is
these abortions (Norton & McAfee) insinuite themselves into every nook
and cranny of whatever system they're installed on, slow it down, seldom
if ever snag anything,  and will eventually conflict with other programs
in such a way that you end up blaming your applications or otherwise
misdiagnosing whatever problem you're having.  These products make me
think of nothing so much as the TSA - intrusive, ineffective and
corrosive.

Peter Norton wrote the book on the PC many years ago, but those days are
long gone.  He no longer has anything to do with the products that carry
his name.  I don't know who McAfee is, but he needs to be deported.

There may be other effective anti-virus/spyware programs, but the only
two reliable and non-invasive anti-malware programs I know of that really
stay on top of the fast-moving world of malware are Nod 32

http://www.eset.com/products/nod32.php

and Spyware Doctor.

The one that comes with Windows . . . Defender . . . doesn't do any harm
that I've seen.  AVG, a free one that makes a big show but like Defender
never catches anything, also doesn't do any harm.  Defender updates its
virus definitions infrequently and although AVG makes a display of
updating its definitions, neither of these cut the mustard when it comes
to keeping a system clean.  Personally, of the two I mentioned above, I
use Spyware Doctor which automatically updates sometimes twice a day.
It's never gotten in the way, does a quick scan whenever I turn on the
computer and always catches and eliminates the minor infections we get
just in normal browsing.  Along with Casper for back-ups, I give it an
A+.  I've been using both these products for several years, so this is my
experience.    Good tools.

Mike
KSEE

Diet Help