Singed off my annual in the logs last night to be legal to fly out
for pancakes this morning.  My startup includes checking the backup
battery and fuel pumps.  One of the fuel pumps wasn't making pressure
and sounded weak.  The second pump worked fine.  Bad fuel pump? No it
worked fine off the main battery.  Backup battery looked a bit weak
on the meter but no problem, I'll charge it up on the flight.  Then
on startup the starter hesitated on the first compression
stroke.  Hummm,  that's not quite right either.  During run up I
wasn't getting good reads on the volt meter or amp meter so back to
the hangar.  Check out indicates no alternator output but the problem
is probably the regulator.  The alternator is a B&C 12 amp and the
regulator is incased so no way to check it out.  Digital meter on the
battery at engine start indicates zero charging. I called B&C hoping
they might be open but no answer.  To my surprise I got a call back
about 30 minutes later. He happened to stop by the office and saw the
missed phone call and called me back.  We discussed the situation for
30 minutes or more and at this point I will order a regulator Tuesday
AM and have it over nighted to install Wednesday AM.  If all goes
well I will head for the Gathering Thursday AM as planned.  If not I
will make the trek via Toyota.

Looking back, I think I've been flying on borrowed time the last
flight or two.  I've noticed my small back up battery didn't look
right on the volt meter but everything was working o.k.  My main
battery is so hefty that I've been starting the engine and running
the pumps and the radio on it without recharging for at least an hour
or two now.  The lesson here is a gradual failure will give you hints
if you bother to pay attention.  If something doesn't seem quite
right it probably isn't.

Happy holiday............  See you at the Gathering..........

Larry Flesner