----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick and Robin Russo" <patru...@myfairpoint.net>

Yes, I have used pine to do a wood/fabric L-19 look-alike. Incidently, there
is a major kit supplier that uses clear southern pine in their light
sircraft. I have also built a KR-2 with locally cut spruce careful to use
the staightest grain and zero knots. On a 2nd KR I also went to the local
lumber yard and spent the afternoon going thru the stacks of construction
grade spruce 2x8's etc pulling out the odd knot free and straight grain
board. When the grain was not as straight as I like, I re-sawed  the boards
and laminated them to their best advantage. I once found a stash of redwood
as staight and close grained as I ever saw, and built a set of wings for
another, as yet unfinished, aircraft....but not before I experimented with
it, building two blue grass F-5 mandolins. They proved to be every bit as
strong as the usual spruce topped instruments but lacked the tone quality.