I did not use any of the existing tail spring, the entire unit is built of
fiberglass.  It is bolted to the fuselage just like the metal spring was, in
exactly the same place.  I just had to use bolts that were a little longer.

I would not use Carbon Fiber as it is more brittle and what you want is
something that can give with the shock.

I put Duct Tape on the board and it still stuck a little.  I made it wider
than I knew I would need and cut it to size and shape.  You will notice in
one of the first pics, that there is another "leaf" added to the tail part
of the spring unit.  That is because the initial layup that I did, and what
is documented, was not strong enough to keep the bend to a minimum when I
pushed down hard on the tail part of the turtle deck.  That "leaf" is just
about as thick as the first layup.

Notice on the 4th and 5th pic, that the vertical part of the wheel unit, is
"vertical".  Avery will tell you that, in fact, you want to make the
vertical part, lean a little aft at the top, and not to have the wheel
"trail", as you might think it should.  I tried to get mine as they said,
but "vertical", was the best I could do.

I am very happy with the performance of this spring and am glad to recommend
it to anyone.

See N64KR at http://KRBuilder.org - Then click on the pics
See you at the 2011 - KR Gathering in Mt. Vernon, Il - MVN
There is a time for building and it never seems to end.
Daniel R. Heath - Lexington, SC