My first airplane was an Acro Sport II and I had two separate tech
counselors tell me the same thing Tony. Powder coating was not a very good
idea. so I opted for traditional primer and then paint on the steel
structure. Even on a flat part without welds, they didn't recommend it
because if the part does develop a crack, or even a stressed area, you won't
see it until your kiss your butt goodbye..

Fred Johnson

Reno, NV

Tony wrote:

I've been told (by someone who seems to know what he's talking about but may
not be an authority) that powder coating is not a good idea for structural
parts because cracks, particularly around welds, may be hidden by the powder
coating.  Can anyone shed some light on this?

Tony King