I can tell you  from the side of being someone who does NDT work for a living
that powder coating does not stop cracks from showing. Powder coat will cover
bad welds as does paint. Also just like paint it does not cover over sharp
edges well.

From: "Fred Johnson" <f...@renotruss.com>
Sender: krnet-boun...@mylist.net
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 16:14:54
To: 'KRnet'<kr...@mylist.net>
Subject: RE: KR> powdercoating parts

My first airplane was an Acro Sport II and I had two separate tech
counselors tell me the same thing Tony. Powder coating was not a very good
idea. so I opted for traditional primer and then paint on the steel
structure. Even on a flat part without welds, they didn't recommend it
because if the part does develop a crack, or even a stressed area, you won't
see it until your kiss your butt goodbye..

Fred Johnson

Reno, NV

Tony wrote:

I've been told (by someone who seems to know what he's talking about but may
not be an authority) that powder coating is not a good idea for structural
parts because cracks, particularly around welds, may be hidden by the powder
coating.  Can anyone shed some light on this?

Tony King