I should probably remind folks that there's a list named "CorvAircraft" that
I also run.  To subscribe, send an email to corvaircraft-j...@mylist.net  .
I can tell you that there was once a lot of talk about aluminum cylinders,
but as far as I know, nobody is currently flying behind them.  To search the
CorvAircraft search engine, see
http://www.maddyhome.com/corvairsrch/index.jsp , where you'll get 28 hits on
the word "nikasil".

To me, it's simply not worth it.  Just lose 10 pounds your wasteline and
enjoy the reliability of cast iron.  This is like mountain bike parts...you
can spend a lot of money on super light weight high-end "racing" parts that
last no time at all, or you can buy the cheap steel stuff that just keep on
running.  "Racing", "high performance", and "ultra-light" are not always
good, unless you have your own pit crew doing the work and a bottomless bank
account.  Having said that, I've never flown behind a set of Nikasil
cylinders, so take that for what it's worth.  I wouldn't have added another
8 gallons of fuel capacity to the plane if I thought 10 pounds made a huge
difference...

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
website at http://www.N56ML.com