Netters,

It's been awhile since I last posted about "Snakebite".  I received a call from
Joe H the other day asking about my progress on the plane..well.. Lets start
from beginning.

In October we had the Copper state Fly-in.  For the last 3 years I was a
volunteer for the Fuel venture race.  This year I was going to participate in
it.  I had been changing my cowl and doing some maintenance on the plane.
Although the work was not major, some of the work was not the heads.  I got the
engine back together and ran it static for 1 ½ hours.  Temps were good and no
oil leaks.  All was good so I thought.  I flew down to Casa Grande airport to
see the planes and to get fuel to go the airport that we were going to start
the race from.  I walked around copper state for about an hour and got the
fuel, which in a KR2 at an air show takes about an hour.  I did see a bit of
oil on the bottom of the plane, but not enough to get too concerned.  I took
off to go to the other airport, about 10 minutes away.  I was about 7 minutes
into the flight when I got a bad vibration in the engine.  I could see the
airport and would easily make it.

Mistake #1.  What are the winds.  I just took off from a runway at the same
angle, I should have lined up that way.  But when you have a full header tank
and 10 gals of fuel in the seat next to you, the ground is a good place to be.
I lined up for the closest end of the runway.  I have only flown over this
airport, I have never landed there.  It is somewhat downhill and downwind the
way that I was lined up.  I was coming in good, a little high but that was ok
so I thought.  I shut that mag off over the end of the runway.  I have never
shut the mag off in flight.  The engine did not want to stop.  Ok right?

Mistake #2.  Never second guess yourself when coming in with an engine
vibration.  Although I still had the engine running I thought I could fly the
runway and come in from the other direction.  The engine that SHOULD have
didn't.  I was over the other end of the runway and can to the sad realization
that an off field landing was to be my fate this day.  My first option was the
main road between Casa Grande and the next small town, fairly busy road on a
day like this.  As I looked at the cars moving below me I remembered the 10
gals of fuel as my co-pilot.  A dirt field was not a good option either.  I
looked to the left and a clear, straight road was below me.  I lined up for a
road landing.  I did see a pick up truck coming my way but it was a mile away.
I made sure there no powerlines in my way and headed down.

Mistake #3.  Know your weight.  I did not have a lot of weight in the baggage
compartment, but I had a full header tank and 60 plus lbs next to me.  I have
flown with more weight, but did not have to make a landing with the weight.
Airspeed or lack there of was an issue when I went to flair.  Smack I hit the
ground.  I have had 2 hard landings in this plane.  This was twice any of
those.  The plane skidded down the road and at the very end of the skid it slid
off the road and in the dirt.  I got out real quick, and about that time the
truck showed up and asked if I was alright.  The quote of the day was from the
driver of the truck.  "I've seen some crazy shit in my life, but that was
Awesome".

Let's see if I can shorten this story a little.  Someone who was at the airport
saw the flyby and drove over to the scene.  I made to appropriate phone call to
(not the FAA) to the WIFE and then my dad who was at the airport.  The owner of
the hangar we were going to use for the race, arrived and he made a call to get
his trailer out there ASAP.  Within 10 minutes of the incident 8 guys lifted
the plane onto the trailer and we were on the way back to the airport.

The damage is limited considering.  Prop, landing gear bracket, pitot tube,
glass work on the lower cowl, replace that flattened vortex generator, that is
it.  The cause of the vibration was a stripped bold holding on the rocker arm
on the left side of the engine.

Mistake #4.  Remember that oil leak,,,,,, even with a VW, never overlook an oil
leak.

Now to Joe Hortons question.  How is my progress on the plane, well as soon as
I get the other plane that is in my garage out, I can start work on snakebite.
The plane that is in there now is an Ultra Pup, if you go to
http://www.preceptoraircraft.com/ultrapup.html and then click on the gallery,
the plane I have is the red and white one in the photos.  Just updating some
things in it.

Lee Van Dyke