From: Dene Collett <av...@telkomsa.net>
To: KRnet <kr...@mylist.net>
Sent: Wed, March 9, 2011 10:34:21 AM
Subject: KR> revmaster coil temp tolerances

Hi guys
This post is not KR specific but is related to flying revmaster motors.
As many of you will remember I made quite an elaborate cooling plenum chamber
that covers the top of the motor. I am pleased to report that not only are the
CHT's within limits but almost on the low side. That plenum cover works!
I would like to know if there are any KR's flying with Revmaster motors
equipped
with quad CDI ignition. The reason I ask is that after the maiden test flight
on
Sunday of my latest Whisper motor glider that lasted approx 1/2 hour, it stood
for a few minutes on the ramp before it was decided to take it up again. The
motor was stone dead. We could not even get a backfire out of it. After taking
the top cowl off and feeling the CDI coils we found them to be very hot due to
heatsoak from sitting in the hot environment under the cowl. The cooling plenum
I made excludes the inlet runners and the CDI coils mounted to them. My
question
is what kind of temperatures can I expect these coils to handle before it
begins
to break down?
I went out to the field yesterday and attempted to start it, it fired right up
and ran smoothly.

Regards
Dene Collett
Avlec Projects cc