Bill Marcy

See kiddiehawk.org

Mark Langford <m...@n56ml.com> wrote:

There's a guy named Bill Marcy (who I think is from Arizona or Colorado or
somewhere out that way) that did some structural analysis for Rand Robinson
in the 90's, and one of the things he said at the first OSH forum I went to
was that his analysis showed that O-200s and "just about anything else that
would fit" would be OK for the airframe of the KR2S, thanks to the beefing
up it got at the firewall (as opposed to the KR2). Take a look at the
archives (http://www.maddyhome.com/krsrch/index.jsp) and search for "Marcy"
and you may turn up his address. RR should have his analysis that reports
this info though. I assume she paid him to do the work, so she should have
it somewhere. There's a message from Austrian Christian Kogelmann where he
says he has the flight envelope analysis from Marcy that details max gross
weight, so he may know how to get in touch with him. I'm betting RR knows
how to get in touch with him as well.

I can tell you that my Corvair engine weighs right at 245 pounds complete,
with everything it needs to run except fuel in the lines and electrons in
the wires (that's carb, exhaust, airbox, generator, oil, etc), and on my
first flight I tested the mount to 5 g's on the meter. I doubt the published
weight for Continentals or Jabirus is absolutely "full-up", so keep that in
mind when my 245 sounds heavy.

It's the downward force of a hard landing that might separate the engine and
firewall from the fuselage, not just pulling it through the air. That's why
it's more a weight issue than a power issue. Just improving the load path
from the mount to the outer edges of the firewall (near the longerons) goes
a long way to strengthening that setup.

As for Corvair hp, mine was rated at 110 hp at 4400 rpm, but that was with a
different cam and I've got 15% more displacement now. You can sift through
the stuff at http://www.n56ml.com/corvair/specs.html and find just about
anything you want to know about the stock Corvair specs or the
implementation that I'm running, with all kinds of other details at
http://www.n56ml.com/corvair ...

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
website at http://www.N56ML.com