A google search of forged Corvair cranks shows a company named Magnificent
Machine producing a forged crank for the Corvair engine for about $ 1200 and
change. I bit pricey at about double the price of a forged crank for a SB
Chevy. When I try to access their website I get an HTML error.

I also read where someone in the Corvair college community stated that all
Corvair cranks are forged but the 65 and newer cranks are the ones you want.

Now, I am not a Corvair guy as I have a Great Plains VW 2180 but I have been
interested in the Corvair as I love the car and my experience with 6 cylinder
engines in aircraft prove them to be so much smoother then 4 cylinder engines.
However, I have hesitated to build a Corvair because of the crank issues and
like many thought the 5th bearing was probably going to be the fix. I no longer
feel confident in that assumption.

Now I can not remember the last time I heard of a VW crank failure. For that
matter I have not heard of a VW failure and I even recall a guy broke a prop on
his VW on his way to Sun N Fun many years ago. I talked to him at a forum and
with as much vibration he had with half a prop, his VW crank and motor stood up.

All that said, I dont want to get flamed by the Corvair crowd. Remember, I love
them, just dont think I want to fly behind one now. I also would have a hard
time finding anyone who has more knowledge about engines then Steve Bennett at
Great Plains. Steve and Linda have always gone way beyond any expectations I
could possibly have for a supplier. In fact, I can not think of a single time
that Steve did not return my calls within the same day. GPAS VW engines have
been flying for years , I would go as far as saying I could not think of a
better company or person to do business with. So, I guess if I want a bigger
motor, I guess I will probably go with a GPAS type IV.

Jeff York
KR-2

Georgetown Scott County FAA airport of the year
2010 KR Gathering Peoples Choice and Best Interior
2011 Air Fest Best Experimental, Best instrument panel

Given that this engine has become such a popular powerplant for experimentals,
I would have thought someone would be building a forged crank for this motor by
now since it is the "heart" of any engine.

Forged cranks ended the crankshaft failures with the VW's so looks like this is
going to be necessary with the Corvairs if anyone is to trust their engines in
the future.

Good save there Mark and a great write-up, as usual.

Mike
KSEE