From: "Mark Langford" <m...@n56ml.com>
To: "KRnet" <kr...@mylist.net>
Sent: Sunday, July 01, 2012 1:53 PM
Subject: Re: KR> Structural Analysis

Larry Flesner wrote:

>>Using the performance numbers directly from the Rand sales literature
>>indicates to me that very little research was done to verify actual
>>performance of the KR before they were used to make his assumptions or
>>calculations. That's were I lost total faith in his conclusions.  I'm even
>>wondering about the qualifications of the three professors signing the
>>cover page.  But hey, that's just me.  Your conclusions may vary. :-)  <<

Regarding the paper at
http://www.engr.sjsu.edu/nikos/MSAE/pdf/Bravo.F11.pdf,  I agree with
everything Larry says.  But I managed to read the whole thing (except for
the half of the paper that was standard derivations), and I also found a lot
of it very "interesting".  One thing that really sticks in my mind is the 35
pounds of stick force is required during takeoff, according to the control
analysis.  I'll bet just about all KRs would perform an instant half-loop to
stall and crash if you really did that.  When Troy Petteway was coaching me
to fly my plane for the first time, he said "set the trim to neutral and
when it's ready to fly it'll take off all by itself".  My plane is that way
as well.  35 pounds of stick force isn't anywhere near reality, and could
get somebody killed in a hurry.

And I found the following piece of advice to be truly amazing...the only
advice given regarding CG of the aircraft:  "The recommended CG range for
the original KR2 is 15 to 35% of MAC.  Acknowledging the pitch sensitivity
issue of this airplane, the CG position needs to be chosen very carefully.
Therefore the most forward CG position should be avoided."  No mention of
aft CG at all.  This is completely backwards from reality as well...forward
CG is very stable, aft CG is UNstable, and not just for the KR!

Regarding airfoil selection, selecting a "cruise speed" of 180 mph at
15,000' while powered by an 85 hp engine for comparison purposes is wishful
thinking.   I suspect (at least hope) this guy knows something about
aerodynamics, but his choice of beginning with "published numbers" for KR
performance was just his first mistake.  I sincerely doubt that he knows
more about airfoil design  than Dr. Ashok Gopolaranthnam , who specializes
in airfoil design and designed the AS504x series specifically for the KR2S,
and is now an aerodynamics professor ( see
http://www.mae.ncsu.edu/faculty-staff/profile/ashok-gopalarathnam/) at NCU.
Do a Google search for  Ashok Gopalarathnam and you'll get 4200
aerodynamically leaning hits.  With a name like that, they're probably all
his.  Do a Google search for Boris Bravo and you'll get ONE hit that is
probably  be him.   My money's on Ashok when it comes to airfoil design and
comparison.

I notice one of the references listed is "Verification of Airworthiness of a
Modified KR-2 Aircraft" by his "project partner".  It's at
http://www.engr.sjsu.edu/nikos/projectsMSAE.htm , along with the current
subject report.  These two reports are very similar and contain some of the
same mistakes and factual errors.  If I were Nordin, I'd feel violated!   I
have to wonder why the Bravo analysis is "secure" and can't be printed,
unlike the other reports listed on that page.  The document security is also
set to make it "invisible" to search engines, and therefore less likely to
be found by those interested in such things.   I wonder why.  And given
Larry's comment about not doing much research was done to verify actual KR
performance, he's had five years to do a little research on that, and has
obviously been to both www.krnet.org and www.n56ml.com but didn't learn much
.

I could go on, but why bother?  This "analysis" is a complete "red herring"
from the KR pilot's and builder's standpoint.  I should have been doing
something constructive tonight rather than wasting my time on this...

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
website at http://www.N56ML.com