KRnetHeads,

It's been kind of quiet today, so let me throw this one out there.  When I
bought N891JF, the sight tube was discolored due to age to the point that I
could barely see through it.  I updated it with new tubing from McMaster Carr,
Tygon F-4040-A, which is what was used originally.  The problem is this tubing
is extremely yellow, and it wipes out the blue dye in the 100LL fuel to the
point that it's like water.  You can only see the dividing line (miniscus) of
the fuel level, and that takes some searching most of the time.  The easy
solution would be to put a little ball of some sort in the tubing, and it would
have to be 3/16" or smaller to freely float to the surface.  Anybody have an
idea on a source for something that would work for that job?  Another option
(but not as attractive as the floating ball) would be a clear tubing that's
proven to work with fuel.  Any ideas?

Having seen three fuel level sensors fail on N56ML, I'm already a big fan of
the sight tube thing, although it does mean "fuel in the cockpit".

Before I hit the "send" button, it occurred to me...a cheapo electrolyte
hydrometer would probably offer some balls that would work, but that remains to
be seen (yes I would look up the density before I wasted the $3).  Any other
options?

Thanks,

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com