From: Mark Langford
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2012 8:03 PM
To: KRnet
Subject: KR> fuel tank sight gauge tubing?

KRnetHeads,

It's been kind of quiet today, so let me throw this one out there.  When I
bought N891JF, the sight tube was discolored due to age to the point that I
could barely see through it.  I updated it with new tubing from McMaster
Carr, Tygon F-4040-A, which is what was used originally.  The problem is
this tubing is extremely yellow, and it wipes out the blue dye in the 100LL
fuel to the point that it's like water.  You can only see the dividing line
(miniscus) of the fuel level, and that takes some searching most of the
time..  The easy solution would be to put a little ball of some sort in the
tubing, and it would have to be 3/16" or smaller to freely float to the
surface..  Anybody have an idea on a source for something that would work
for that job?  Another option (but not as attractive as the floating ball)
would be a clear tubing that's proven to work with fuel.  Any ideas?

Mark Langford