>original message from Dean Choitz

>I would like some advice how to build a wing with a fuel tank inside that's
>aluminum my wing was built with foam ribs no plywood ribs I want to run a
>tank behind the main spar about 5 and a half feet I would appreciate ideas
>how to fasten the tank

Aluminum wing tanks are relatively simple to build. They can easily be done
with no welding involved at all. Please refer to this link for a detailed
description of how to build aluminum tanks.
http://www.krnet.org/wingtank/

After you have mastered this construction technique, mounting the tanks is
also very simple. Mine have been flying for seven years and almost 500 hours
without any leaks or problems. What I did to mount mine was very simple. I
took a piece of 1" aluminum angle and installed it between the front spar
and rear spar. Make a L shaped bracket to attach the aluminum angle to the
front spar and rear spar. Do this on each end of the tank. Be sure to mount
the aluminum angle low enough to allow the top of the tank to be below the
airfoil surface. Once you have determined the mounting spots and have
installed the aluminum angle, go to the auto parts store and purchase a roll
of automotive trim tape. This is a high density foam tape and is 3/4" wide.
Next, tape the inside of the aluminum angle leaving the plastic coating on
one side. Tape both the bottom where the tank sets and also the side so
there is no metal to metal contact. Now put the tank in place. Once you are
satisfied with the mount, take two part foam and fill the gap between the
front of the tank and the rear of the front spar. Do the same with the rear
of the tank. After that has cured, proceed to epoxy foam sheeting to the top
and bottom of the tanks. for shaping the airfoil. Here is a link to my web
site which has some photos you can study.
http://www.flykr2s.com/wing.html

If you have additional questions, just ask.

Mark Jones (N886MJ)
Stevens Point, WI
E-mail: flyk...@charter.net
Web: www.flykr2s.com