Subject: KR> Brake Fluid
Anybody ever have an issue with the red aviation brake fluid gelling in the
lines? It gets as thick as gear oil or thicker so much so that the brakes are
inefficient.Thanks,Kenny N6399U

-
Yes, I have seen it, but never found the cause.

Worked on a plane a number of years ago that had really sluggish brakes.  You
could stand on the brakes, and nothing would happen right away, then eventually
they brakes would start to apply.  When you released the brakes, they were very
slow to release as well, and tended to drag.  The 5606 in the system was thick
as gear oil and very brown.  It was clearly contaminated, but I don't know why.
 I flushed the brake system, dismantled and cleaned the slave cylinders.
Filled and bled it with 5606 and all was well.

10 years later, the same plane came back to me with a new owner, but the same
sluggish brake symptoms.  Once again, I found the 5606 brake fluid was
contaminated and looked like gear oil.  Once again, I flushed the system,
dismantled and cleaned the slave cylinders, filled and bled with 5606, and all
was well once again.  I never figured out how the system was getting
contaminated.  This was a certificated plane with Cleveland brakes.  My KR has
the same 5606 fluid in the brakes that I charged them up with 20 years ago.
I've never drained it, and never had a problem with it.

-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM