What you experienced is an undersized horizontal stab going in and out of the
prop blast.  The tail is mounted high on the 750 series Zenith, so just as you
rotate the nose up, the small tail drops into the prop blast and suddenly
becomes highly effective, so it tends to suddenly pitch up, much like you would
find on a T tailed Tomahawk when it is over-rotated.  On landing, when you pull
the power, the tail loses it's air flow from the prop blast, and suddenly
becomes ineffective, allowing it to suddenly drop the nose.  You want to use a
bit of power on landing to keep the tail effective while learning the plane,
and you want to be very gentle on rotation.  Like all planes with somewhat
marginal horizontal stab and elevator control (the KR series comes to mind),
changes in air flow over the tail makes a huge difference in effectiveness.

As for the oil canning and rattling of the fuselage, that is endemic to flat
surface aluminum.  That could have been eliminated with a bit of curvature to
the aluminum surface, but Zenith chose to keep it as simple as possible to
build. The Sonex also has some of the same oil canning, although not to the
degree found in the Zenith.

Once you get used to the handling, it's actually a pretty nice little STOL
aircraft.  Not my first choice, but not an unreasonable choice either.  It
seems they fly just as good without the slats found on the original CH-750s as
they did with them.  In fact removing them seems to improve the speed and some
of the handling characteristics without adversely affecting the stall
performance.  Thus, the birth of the Cruzer version you flew.

-Jeff Scott