I would NOT suggest using a cheap one like in the attached picture, just
that the concept could be machined stronger. I suggested this because it
sounds like the backing plate is also the "nut" into which the screws turn,
and at 1/8" thick it stripped out on one hole and now cant get access to it
inside to attach a normal nut on that one stripped out hole. IF I have this
right, I thought of strong epoxy and an alternative fastener nut for that
one location to draw it together until the epoxy cures.

I dunno, this is my 2 cents suggestion idea and its probably overpriced...