Larry & all,

This could be a serious safety concerns on the structural integrity of the
KR design, such as the decision to use wood for the Spar. My concern is
that the aging of wood would likely to take a toll on the material
strength.... Has anyone did static or dynamic load tests on the structural
integrity of the wing/spar of the KR2 planes, say after 20+ years of
completion, especially when sitting in the garage or storage area with
uncontrollable humidity conditions....?!

Since it costs money, I believe no individual builders of KR2 were willing
to perform any such structural tests at a loss of thousands of dollars...?!

Sadly, the safety issues of homebuilt aircrafts have brought my serious
concerns after seeing so many accidents since I bought my KR2 project early
last year! I just attended a funeral of my dear friend and my hangar mate
at KAEG, Randy Reimer yesterday. Randy just finished his Glasstar in less
than three years ago and crashed his brand new aircraft on his second trip
(from Albuquerque to Milwaukee) a couple of weeks ago. Randy and his wife
Susie flew from Albuquerque to Milwaukee to attend their nephew's wedding
in early October, and he crashed his plane on their returning trip due to
loss of control about 11 minutes after took off from Milwaukee on the 12th
of October...

https://youtu.be/9bbjuJxpOq0

It is extremely sad to see so many fatal accidents happened within short
period of time in the GA sector. Something must be done or changed within
the homebuilt community, in my humble view in order to bent the accident
curve downward?! My suggestion is to seriously consider the installation of
BRS in homebuilt aircrafts, and let's first start to explore and
experimenting this idea within our KR2 community perhaps? I will be more
than happy to see some of us to join hands to do something in order to find
answers to questions below:

(1) what's the easiest or minimum modifications and cost effective
installation design necessary to install a BRS on a typical KR2 structural?

(2) what are the best choices or options of parachute or BRS system on the
market that we can purchase or use in order to minimize the cost while
assuring effective reduction of risk in case of a loss of control emergency
at or above 500ft altitude...?

I believe a few thousand $ of investment for safety insurance of homebuilt
aircraft owners will be well worthy of the money spent.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the best approach to improve safety in the
homebuilt community with reasonable spending of private resources?!

Flying high and stay safe!

Dr. Hsu
N40881 - Piper
N3830H - KR2