JB Weld is simply an epoxy product with loaded with some fillers to give it a more viscous wet consistency and a relatively hard finish. I wouldn't use it anywhere you wouldn't consider using any other epoxy resins. If you prep an aluminum (or composite) surface for bonding, you'll find JB Weld, as well as most other epoxies such as West or T-88, will work well to stop a pinhole leak.

If you want to read some read fuel tank horror stories and how I rebuilt them, I suggest reading a a couple of pages on my web site <http://jeffsplanes.com>.

Under the SuperCub files. There is a page labeled "Mogas vs Composite Tanks". Lots of good info there about additional chemicals added to mogas that literally melted the composite fuel tanks in my SuperCub clone. Additionally, I have a number of photos and descriptions as I cleaned up the ruined tanks and quite literally built new tanks inside the old tanks.

Under the RV-6 files, about half way down page 5 labeled "Flight Prep and Test Flying" you'll see the process I used to overhaul a leaky aluminum tank on my RV-6. I currently have the other tank out for overhaul and am using the exact same process.

-Jeff Scott
Arkansas Ozarks

--
Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.