The current light sport rules allows one to fly with a valid drivers’ license
or 3d class medical as the fulfillment of the medical requirement.  A pilot
needs to hold at least a Sport Pilot license to fly the aircraft.  A summary of
current requirements are listed here at AOPA or found in FAR Part 61

https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/advocacy-briefs/frequently-asked-questions-about-sport-pilot

The proposed and likely to be approved MOSAIC rules will significantly expand
the types of aircraft a licensed Sport Pilot may fly and include most typical
GA aircraft but with limitation on operations and passengers carried, similar
to the old Recreational Pilot license.  It will also expand the performance
envelope for light sport which will allow for the inclusion of current EU
“Ultralight” aircraft types of which there are some great designs like the
Shark UL & Blackwing (similar performance to KR) and other speedy little Rotax
powered retractable gear aircraft which should significantly expand
availability of fun little factory built aircraft.

Blue skies,
Adam Deem