the federation pods start and stay running. the connection to the federated
clusters never succeeds, instead throwing the TLS errors I quote.

the net result is that if I submit an object (say, a namespace) to the
federated control plane, it never propagates to the federated clusters.

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 3:10 AM 'Madhusudan C.S.' via Kubernetes user
discussion and Q&A <kubernetes-users@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 8, 2017 at 10:48:13 AM UTC-8, Jeremy Derr wrote:
>
> I have a utility cluster ("cloudops"), created with kops, that I use for a
> bunch of non-customer facing, DevOps-y workloads. I decided to give
> Federation a shot for my customer-facing clusters.
>
> So, I created two kubernetes clusters ("appo" and "cody") in AWS with
> `kops` with the following commands:
>
>     kops create cluster --name cody.us-east-1e.derr.me --zones us-east-1e
> --vpc vpc-7a3c5d1d --dns-zone us-east-1e.derr.me --network-cidr
> 10.10.0.0/16 --topology private --networking calico --ssh-public-key
> ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub
>     kops create cluster --name appo.us-east-1e.derr.me --zones us-east-1e
> --vpc vpc-7a3c5d1d --dns-zone us-east-1e.derr.me --network-cidr
> 10.10.0.0/16 --topology private --networking calico --ssh-public-key
> ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub
>
> The only change I made with `kops edit` was to ensure they had AWS VPC
> subnets that do not conflict with one another.
>
> I then started a federated control plane:
>
>     kubefed init troopers --host-cluster-context=
> cloudops.us-east-1e.derr.me --dns-provider=aws-route53 --dns-zone-name=
> fed.derr.me
>
> and then added these two clusters to this federated control plane:
>
>     kubefed join cody --host-cluster-context=troopers --cluster-context=
> cody.us-east-1d.derr.me
>     kubefed join appo --host-cluster-context=troopers --cluster-context=
> appo.us-east-1e.derr.me
>
> From this point, the federated API server will just throw endless TLS
> errors and federation never begins.
>

> By "never begins", do you mean the pods keep crashing? Do the pods
> restart? What does `kubectl --namespace=federation-system describe pods`
> return?
>
>     I0208 16:32:40.007161       1 logs.go:41] http: TLS handshake error
> from 10.10.55.2:37510: EOF
>     I0208 16:32:40.007730       1 logs.go:41] http: TLS handshake error
> from 100.78.245.128:48267: EOF
>     I0208 16:32:40.007944       1 logs.go:41] http: TLS handshake error
> from 100.123.106.0:53971: EOF
>     I0208 16:32:40.008085       1 logs.go:41] http: TLS handshake error
> from 100.76.57.192:58049: EOF
>     I0208 16:32:40.008224       1 logs.go:41] http: TLS handshake error
> from 100.110.103.8:21103: EOF
>     I0208 16:32:40.008362       1 logs.go:41] http: TLS handshake error
> from 100.97.177.64:53690: EOF
>     I0208 16:32:40.008621       1 logs.go:41] http: TLS handshake error
> from 100.120.95.192:58706: EOF
>

> Any idea what these addresses are? Could you give more context (more logs)?
>
> Also, do you see `https://` prefix in the endpoint addresses in the
> cluster objects when you run `kubectl --context=troopers get clusters cody
> -o yaml` and `kubectl --context=troopers get clusters appo -o yaml`?
>

> What am I missing here?

Jeremy Derr
jer...@derr.me

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.