NodePort vs VIP should have no difference - they traverse the same paths.

This is a much steeper difference than what I measured and more than I
would expect.

Is this 8k new connections per second?  Could you be exhausting
conntrack records and getting some failures?  It would be interesting
to distinguish connections per second vs request throughput.  We
should also clarify whether this is to a single backend on the same
node, or if this is across multiple backends and nodes.  Testing to a
backend on the same node should, of course, be faster than testing a
backend on a different node.