My script *is* always looking up the same domain, and I believe it is
cached by dnsmasq. I *think* the limit is the kernel NAT connection
tracking, because each DNS query comes from a new ephemeral port, so it
ends up using up all NAT mappings on the node running kube-dns. This is why
dnsPolicy: Default fixes the problem: It uses the host's DNS configuration
which avoids the NAT connection limits.

Details including the Python code and configs to reproduce it on a brand
new GKE cluster are at the bottom of https://github.com/
kubernetes/kubernetes/issues/45976

I did a separate test, using a Go DNS query generator, which was able to do
80000 DNS queries per second, so dnsmasq does not appear to be the limit.

Thanks!

Evan