We don't auto-apply ownership changes to hostPath volumes because that
would allow, for example, a user to take over /etc.  We've considered
heuristics like "apply ownership if we make the directory" or "apply
ownership if the path is under a flag-defined root", but none of them
have been totally satisfying, and nobody has stepped up to prototype
them