Turns out the volume that I mounted in the container, which was a nfs
share, didn't have no_root_squash enabled in the mount options.
Without it, even the root that is on the client computer didn't have write
access.
After enabling it, the root user in the computer could write with no
issues.
Many thanks Tim!