On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 9:27 PM, Tres Finocchiaro <fatbuttla...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sure, but downloading a browser on Linux is so much more different
>> than it is on Windows / OS X.
>> My primary aim with opening this discussion was not to decide which
>> browser we should ship on the ISO, but having a user friendly way in
>> which a first time user can install an alternative browser.
>

> This is simply not true.  Between the Kubuntu Software Installer for Firefox
> and the pre-packaged .DEB files that Google provides for Chrome, installing
> a browser in Linux has never been easier.

I'll agree with the fact about Google Chrome :)

> If you're worried about someone downloading the wrong version, that could be
> said for any installer on any OS.
>
> Downloading may be "different", however I would argue that for ease of use,
> you should ask the Mozilla project to modify their home page to launch the
> apt:// url when the big green Download button us pressed.  This would likely
> need coordination with some Ubuntu cross-reference of OS version to apt url
> that the community could maintain.  Perhaps lower under the green button
> would be an option to install manually.  Unfortunately, since the version
> through apt would be slightly dated, this would also warrant a disclaimer
> above the download button that the version may be out of date.

Actually, with the new policies Firefox is regularly updated on all
supported releases of Ubuntu. So a url like apt://firefox will always
install the latest release.

I actually proposed having having apt:// links on kubuntu.org to
popular software like vlc/firefox/chromium etc on IRC. It was shot
down due to security concerns.

> If you want ease of use, make this page (en version linked) -- the page the
> rest of the world uses to install Firefox -- actually install Firefox, not
> download a tarball that's confusing to the users you are trying to
> represent.

That page is out of our control. It's something that Mozilla would
have to change on their end.