Steve Langasek [2014-10-08 13:10 -0700]:
> It has been pointed out that Ubuntu also has an indexer, zeitgeist, which
> apparently doesn't suffer from the same problem.

To clarify: For the most part, zeitgeist only stores access events, i.
e. metadata like "accessed this video at this time". There have been
some experiments with making it index full file contents, but I don't
believe we have/use that.

In earlier Ubuntu releases we used to install various file content
indexers by default (like tracker), and in the end they all sucked. By
nature they are using ginormous I/O and nontrivial CPU bandwidth all
the time, causing both desktop slowdown and much higher battery drain.

So the desktop team decided some time ago to not install a file
indexer by default. People who actually do want this can install
tracker. The desktop slowdown can probably be addressed with some
clever scheduler/ionice/whatever magic, but the cpu/IO/power usage
will not go down no matter how you schedule things.

Martin