Gregory Haskins wrote:

>>> +   int (*in_range)(struct kvm_io_device *this, gpa_t addr);
>>>

>> Do you see any reason to have this as a callback and not a pair of gpas?
>>

> I believe Dor replied earlier stating the reason of being able to support
> holes.  Another reason that I can think of that I particularly like about
> this design (which I am not claiming as my own) is that the device can
> relocate (e.g. LAPIC base addr) without worrying about reprogramming the bus.

I don't like either reasons much, but okay.  We can address any
performance concerns later (I doubt we'll see any with current hardware).

>>> +
>>> +   void             *private;
>>> +   struct list_head  link;
>>>

>> Having these in an array would be much more efficient.  A fixed size
>> array of moderate size should suffice.
>>

> Done.  Maximum # devices is currently 6, because anything beyond that and I
> think we need to revisit the linear alg ;)

You'll be surprised.  Processors are so efficient at processing arrays
that you'll need a much longer list before a better algorithm starts to
gain.

Anyway 6 is as good a number as any.

>> function declarations on one line please.
>>

> Done (though I hate lines that runneth over 80 ;)

A newline usually answers :)

>> The per- vcpu I/O bus is special in that it has exactly one component,
>> and one which can change its address.  I think we can special case it
>> and just check for apic addresses explicitly when searching the bus.
>>

> I am loath to make special cases if they can be avoided.  I think performance
> wise a kvm_io_bus with one device wont be much different than having a
> special case check against apicbase.  And the advantage that this buys us is
> future platforms (e.g. IA64?) may have more than one per-cpu MMIO address.
> I also realize that future platforms may be divergent from the entire
> in-kernel code base altogether, but I think the general and flexible way is
> better if there are no compromising tradeoffs, even if its only for
> example/reference.  In this case I dont think there are any tradeoffs, so I
> left it.  If you insist, I will pull it ;)

I think it unlikely that we'll see another local mmio device, it's so
counter to the spirit of mmio (which is global by its nature).

>>> +static struct kvm_io_device* vcpu_find_mmio_dev(struct kvm_vcpu *vcpu,
>>> +                                           gpa_t addr)
>>> +{
>>> +   struct kvm_io_device *mmio_dev;
>>> +
>>> +   /* First check the local CPU addresses */
>>> +   mmio_dev = kvm_io_bus_find_dev(&vcpu- >mmio_bus, addr);
>>> +   if(!mmio_dev) {
>>> +           /* Then check the entire VM */
>>> +           mmio_dev = kvm_io_bus_find_dev(&vcpu- >kvm- >mmio_bus, addr);
>>> +   }
>>>

>> space, comment, braces
>>

> I believe I fixed this, but I am a little confused about what you were
> pointing out.  The space is obvious.  I believe you were pointing out that
> the braces weren't needed because its technically a single-line, and that the
> comment is fine.  If I needed to change the comment too, let me know.

/*
 * comment
 */

Do re-read Documentation/CodingStyle.  Coding practices die hard, and
the kernel is especially sensitive to coding style.  There are some
instances of nonconforming comments in the updated patches too.

>> Please fix and *test*.  Boot at least 32- bit Windows with ACPI HAL and
>> 64- bit Linux, the more the better of course.
>>

> I have confirmed that my 64 bit linux guest boots fine.  I don't currently
> have any other guests.  Careful review of the code leads me to believe this
> should be an inert change, so I wont go through the effort of finding an XP
> CD to install unless you insist ;)

Please do test.  Even if the changes have no effect, you might expose
some latent bug.  In any case you'll need Windows to do the apic stuff
-- it's much more sensitive to apic problems than Linux.

--
Do not meddle in the internals of kernels, for they are subtle and quick to
panic.