David Abrahams wrote:
> on Thu Apr 12 2007, Avi Kivity
> <avi-atKUWr5tajBWk0Htik3J/w-AT-public.gmane.org> wrote:
>

>> David Abrahams wrote:
>>
>>> When I start my Windows VM with -no-kvm, it seems to boot much more
>>> quickly than without.
>>>
>> You probably have acpi enabled in Windows.  This causes massive
>> slowdowns in kvm; the real fix will unfortunately require you to upgrade
>> your hardware.
>>

> My physical hardware?  Which part?

The part that currently doesn't virtualize the apic tpr: the cpu.

It happens that Windows in acpi mode likes to bang on this register
quite a lot, and that the penalty for accessing this register is several
microseconds (instead of nanoseconds).  Most of the time in a (virtual)
Windows boot is spent on reading and writing this register.

> Is starting the vm with -no-acpi insufficient?  I just realized, I
> haven't been doing that.

It won't help if Windows wants acpi, I think.