Stephane Eranian wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Looking at kvm-26, it seems that the CPUID values as seen by the guest OS
> are still hardcoded for i386/x86-64 at least.
>
> For performance counter virtualization, the guest needs to see the *actual*
> family/model information in order to correctly program the counters.
>
> It would be fairly simple to grab that information from /proc/cpuinfo
> at init time in qemu.
>
> However, I am wondering if there would be side effects of using the
> actual CPUID which could cause troubles to KVM or the guest.

The main issue is migration (and save/restore).  If you migrate to a
host with fewer capabilities, applications may fail when they use
unavailable instructions that they successfully detected earlier.

I think the best solution is to default to the host's capabilities, but
allow command line switches to override them.  This way a management
application in a server farm can set a site-wide least common
denominator, while a home user can enjoy the latest and greatest
instructions on their machine.

Upstream qemu already has a -cpu (or similar) switch for non-x86; we can
probably use that.

(there's another possible issue - some future features may require
support from the hypervisor - that may conflict with defaulting to to
the host feature set.  maybe kvm should mask out any unknown features)