On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 02:41 +1000, Paul J R wrote:
> Ahhh, now I think I understand. The way I had interpreted it was "KVM only
> works on vanderpool/pacifica enabled chips" - which is true, technically
> speaking.
>
> But qemu will still function without the enabled chips, but the kvm
> components wont be available?

Thats exactly right.  The changes that the KVM team did to QEMU allow
for it to still select the QEMU cpu-emulator if need be.  If the kernel
module isnt available, or if you do not have permission to access it, or
if you override the default with "-no-kvm" it will switch to the QEMU
cpu-emulator and still boot fine.

The KVM cpu-model is implemented as a driver module because the VT/SVM
instructions are privileged and cannot be accessed directly from
user-space applications.

Regards,
-Greg