Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> Zachary Amsden wrote:
>> Unless you also migrate the hypercall page itself and impose
>> migration restrictions on compatible hypercall pages.
>
> Seems unreasonable, especially if you support migration between VT and
> SVM machines.  The whole point of a hypercall page is to give you a
> point of indirection in order to hide these kinds of hardware
> differences; migrating it would defeat the purpose.

Migrating across Intel<->AMD is likely to be problematic for many other
reasons, and in general, migrating between such different hardware (yes,
different instruction sets even) will probably not be possible in the
majority of cases.

If I had a gentoo install, I would probably go so far as to want to
recompile everything after migration across CPU vendors; things like
NMIs, MSRs, thermal controls and sleep states are also vendor dependent
and either need to be emulated both ways, re-invented in a new way
entirely, or just dropped.

I don't think cross-CPU vendor hot migration is particularly compelling,
although it certainly is possible, the payoff doesn't seem worth the
implementation cost and you will find a maze of brambly thorns blocking
your path.

>> Although I favor the guarantee that execution within the hypercall
>> page is finished - it is important for protecting against
>> non-reentrancy as well.  Think about interrupts during batching /
>> queueing operations.
>
> Not quite sure that's specifically relevant to migration, but yes, its
> important to disable interrupts while doing the setup for a batch of
> stuff unless you want to see some surprises in your queue (and not
> "Oh, yay, a puppy!" kind of surprises).

I would argue making the hypercall page atomic is a better solution to
reentrancy than disable / enable, but perhaps just because it happened
to work out very nicely for our implementation.  The point is, that also
solves part of the migration problem.

Zach