On 6/20/07, Jeremy Fitzhardinge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm not wildly happy about the idea of using PCI for probing for
> otherwise completely non-PCI devices,

Good :-)

>Xen deals with it with Xenbus, but I
> figure I'm unlikely to convince everyone to adopt that.

Especially those of us who have used it Xenbus :-)

> Yes.  That's the thinking behind using PCI as a somewhat common
> mechanism for device discovery.  s390 folks hate it, of course.

My fear with using PCI is that it is a short-term remedy that we might
find ourselves locked into once we start, and there are lots of things
that will not fit into the PCI model. So we would have picked a
short-term, expedient approach that works for simple cases that breaks
interesting uses.

It's happened in other projects ...

thanks

ron