Farkas Levente wrote:
> Avi Kivity wrote:
>
>> There are two answers to this:
>>
>> - balloon driver (like in Xen) which allows the host to move memory from
>> one guest to another (or from host to guest)
>> - swapping, which allows the host to move guest memory to disk and
>> allocate it to another guest
>>
>> Unfortunately the balloon driver has not been publicly released yet, and
>> swapping is still in early development, so for now you will have to use
>> static allocation.
>>

> which will be available sooner? and an estimate when?

We already have a balloon driver, however it is not yet ready for
inclusion.  Perhaps Dor will comment.   Swapping is some way off; there
is a fairly complete patch from Shaohua Li that does this, but it
requires kernel changes and we are investigating other approaches.

> this rise another question if swapping will be used the it moves the
> guest memory to the guest's swap or the host's swap? if to the host's
> swap then this implies i should have to allocate large enough swap for
> the host. ie. even if i give only 256mb to the host still have to gives
> 6-8GB swap partition to the host.

Yes, when swapping is implemented then guest memory will be swapped to
the host swap.  Of course, if the guest has its own swap file, then it
will swap to the guest's swap independently.

> still believe that these memory, swap, and other disk partitions should
> have to be explain in the faq.

Yes.