On Wed, 2007-08-15 at 11:07 +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
> Farkas Levente wrote:
> > this rise another question if swapping will be used the it moves the
> > guest memory to the guest's swap or the host's swap? if to the host's
> > swap then this implies i should have to allocate large enough swap for
> > the host. ie. even if i give only 256mb to the host still have to gives
> > 6-8GB swap partition to the host.
> >

> Yes, when swapping is implemented then guest memory will be swapped to
> the host swap.  Of course, if the guest has its own swap file, then it
> will swap to the guest's swap independently.

And to clarify: FYI, I believe the guest-swap option should actually
work today.  If you assign a partition as a swap device in the guest it
should use it.  kvm-host will simply see it as disk io as any other.
This is in contrast to the host-swap and/or balloon driver which is
still a work-in-progress.

On thing that is interesting about this (to me) is that, in a way it
kind of is a "poor mans" swap for the guests memory on the host.  E.g.
you could give your guests a really small amount of "physical" ram (say,
I dunno, 64MB/ea) and a large swap file (say several gigs).  Since the
disk-io emanating from the guest would likely be mediated by the hosts
buffercache, its kind of like you just gave the guest a large chunk of
(indirectly accessible) pageable ram.

OTOH, virtualized disk-io is pretty slow compared to bare-metal io.  As
I said, this is a "poor mans" solution ;)  What it really comes down to
is: does having emulated disk-io to a buffercache offer adequate
performance for your applications running in the guest?  If so, this may
be a good interim solution to get a larger number of guests running on a
given host with "dynamic ram".

Regards,
-Greg