Haydn Solomon wrote:
> I have a question on guest smp performance. If I have a host with core
> 2 duo, should a kvm guest perform better using -smp 2 as opposed to
> not using -smp 2?

Well, it depends:
In general Avi measured 40% performance increase for using a second cpu
in the guest. This was long time ago,
before the in-kernel-apic implementation. It might improve the gain of
the additional cpu.

On the other hand, for 32 bit windows, using ACPI HAL has pretty big
overhead at the moment. Since it is a must
for smp guest, it might be slower than running non-acpi single cpu VM.

My guess is that you better use -smp 2.
Dor.